A visit to the Kauri Museum

I've started working at the local dairy a few days ago and didn't think I was going to have a single day off until the end of January. But thanks to an overnight downpour which was still continuing this morning I got a message from my boss telling me to take the day off. YAY =D Matt and I took the opportunity and went to the Kauri Museum in Matakohe about an hour south from us (just off SH1 between Waipu and Wellsford). We'd been there before but only made it to the ticket counter. This time we actually had some money left so thought we might as well treat us to it :-)



The entrance fee of $25 per adult sounds horrendous - but we have to say it is absolutely worth it! On an area of 4000m2 you can learn heaps about the history of Aotearoa. There's impressive Kauri gum displays, a working sawmill, lots of machinery and exhibitions. Enough to spend a day, walk around, check out the nearby Pioneer Church and old School building and the gift shop. Here's a few impressions...


An old dresser made of Kauri gum. Gosh I'd love to have one of those!



A piece of Kauri gum art.


This Kauri tree was about 1200 years old when cut down.

Follow this link to see more pictures.

Comments

Popular Posts