How to make Irish Soda Bread - gluten- and dairy-free!

Shortly after deciding to go gluten- and dairy-free (for health reasons) almost half a year ago I signed up for the Living-Without-Newsletter and am now receiving recipes for gluten- and dairy-free meals on a regular base. This week the following recipe caught my eye: Irish Soda Bread! Since I've been yearning for some yummy bread for ages I thought I'd give it a try. It sure looked very delicious!

And you know what? IT TASTES EVEN BETTER THAN IT LOOKS!!!!! So I'm going to share it with you and hope you'll enjoy is as much as I did. Since Living Without is an American based publication all the measurements are given in cups. If you're used to grams etc. just use a free online-converter...

ingredients

2 cups gluten-free flour (I used Healtherie's Baking Mix)
1 teaspoon (tsp) baking soda
2 tsp gluten-free baking powder (e.g. Edmond's)
1/2 tsp xantham gum
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup gluten-free oats (available at Bin Inn's)
1 egg
1 cup soymilk (or ricemilk)

preparation

- preheat oven to 180°C
- lightly dust baking paper with flour
- mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, xantham gum, salt and oats
- add egg and milk
- form soft, sticky dough
- place on a lighty floured surface and knead a few times
- shape dough into a flat circle approx 15cm in diameter and place it on prepared baking paper
- sprinkle with flour and mark the top with a big X
- bake until goldenbrown (the recipe said between 30 and 35mins but it took almost an hour to finish mine)

Enjoy :-)

Comments

Popular Posts