Meet the family



Christmas 2010 is officially over. I had a wonderful weekend though it never really felt like Christmas should feel like. At least when it comes to the atmosphere, the cold, the snow, ... you know what I mean.

But it surely felt like Christmas in the sense of spending time with loved ones, bringing each other joy and happiness. After all Christmas is the season of love. So what did I do? I started Christmas Day with a yummy sparkling-wine-and-salmon-breakfast with my host family. After that the kids finally got to open their presents. Gosh were they excited! So many wrapped parcels under the tree...

But you'll never guess which of their presents the kids actually liked best... Just look at this picture...



Pia and Philip got me a beautiful necklace that perfectly matched my outfit for the day...



Of course I also had something for them. Since they've been really awesome host parents I had wanted to say thank you in a special way - and decided on a piece of art. I'd taken a picture of a shell where I'd written something upon... put that on canvas... then with the help of my soccer friend and local artist Kathy Mortimer added some more personal touches to the picture. et voilĂ  - here is the result :-)



The rest of the day it was not "Meet the parents" but "Meet the family". Since Daniel's parents and sister with family are in Australia there was "only" the less immediate relatives to meet. We started with his mom's side for lunch. How awkward... After being single for so many years I had completely forgotten what a terrifying feeling it can be to meet the family. But I think it didn't go too bad...

The afternoon was a bit easier because I already knew someone - Dan's cousin Ryan an his fiancé Amy whom I also play soccer with. The two of them had even got me a birthday present - as had Dan's grandpa. He gave me a piece of Kauri gum which might be about 1000 years old? He turns that into pieces of art like jewellery and such. I'll have to have a look at his collection and show you some pictures!

With our tummies full we finally came back to the farm for dinner at Paul's and Helen's place. It was "only" leftovers but HEAPS of them... Daniel fit in really well I'd say. Philip's brother Noel told me today that he thinks Dan's a really nice guy. Isn't that sweet :-)

Also managed to talk to my family back home on Skype for the first time since I left Germany! So far it's only been phone calls. Everyone seems to be doing fine back home and they are looking forward to coming over here next year. Yep, it's true - my mom and my brother are actually flying to New Zealand in March. I still can't believe it!

Comments

Popular Posts