Christmas in Kiwiland



Usually when I think of Christmas I have pictures in my mind of building snowmen, having snowball fights, Weihnachtsmarkt (Christmas Markets) with Glühwein (mulled wine) and Feuerzangenbowle (basically flaming spiced rum), woolen hats and scarves and gloves and the permanent wish to snuggle up in front of a fire to escape the cold. When I think of Christmas I certainly don't associate that with beach, sunblock and BBQs.

Yet that is exactly what the Christmas Party I've been invited to on Saturday was all about. We played cricket at the beach, went for a swim, later had a BBQ with sausages, steak, salads and lots of sweets. it was FANTASTIC!!!!!

We also did a secret Santa. Everybody was supposed to bring a present worth 5 to 10 NZ dollars. Since there were mostly girls on the list of attendees I got the following...



Too bad there was actually one little girl participating. She must have been two or three, not more than that. And guess who got my secret santa present ;-) That was SOOO hilarious! She actually got to keep it - only they filled it up with juice instead of whiskey *lol*

I got a few little things in my present - among it a little teddy bear which found just the right new owner. Since my last stuffed animal is still somewhere between Germany and New Zealand I was really happy to receive this one. I didn't think I'd miss Wuschel that much... but how did a friend at the party put it? "It's nice to have something familiar in a strange bed." How true...

Anyway... even though Pia has put most of the Christmas decoration up and the kids request Christmas songs almost every single day it still doesn't feel like Christmas. And it's less than three weeks away... At least I've bought most of my Christmas presents AND I'm planning on making some Vanillegipferl - typical German Christmas cookies. Just waiting for my mom to send over the recipe as her's are the best =D

By the way... did you know that New Zealand has its own version of Jingle Bells? The chorus goes like this...

Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, Jingle all the way
Christmas in New Zealand on a sunny summer's day, ah!
Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, Jingle all the way
Oh what fun it is to have a Kiwi holiday!

Comments

Popular Posts